So, I guess these don’t count as “goals,” really, since I plan to relax and see family and friends and generally not do anything responsible, but maybe we can call this my holiday vacation wishlist?
- Must-see movies while I’m in Quakertown and the sister/boyfriend get me free movies: This is 40, Les Miserables, Django Unchained, Silver Linings Playbook (if I can find it). Probably a little ambitious, but I promise to draft a pretentious review if I do get to see them.
- Hit up the Salvation Army, because I desperately miss thrifting in the suburbs! It’s impossible to thrift in NoLibs because EVERYONE does it, and there are far fewer thrift stores (not counting fancy secondhand or consignment shops) here than in the Q/Souderton/Lansdale area, surprisingly enough. Score one for the hometown. Also, I have a 90’s-themed outfit to acquire for our Nineteen-Ninety-New-Year party.
- Netflix finally put up the most recent season of How I Met Your Mother (HIMYM for those of us that spend too much time on the Internet) and Jenifer Hathaway, I will require your companionship to view it.
- I am determined to finish the scarf I started a month ago, promised my boyfriend, and then dropped with about three inches left to go. I made it too wide, and briefly considered unraveling the whole damn thing (I used three different yarns) so I could plan the size better. I have a feeling the extra width means I will be wearing it instead.
- People to see: Olivia. Corkaboo. The Danielson girls. Kaylena. Elisabeth. Ariel? Guys, let’s have a Christmas cookie party. Like, tomorrow. Or Sunday afternoon. I will bring the brown sugar and way too much vanilla. And the acapella Christmas music.
- I have a stack of Books To Read, as usual. This one comes pretty low on the list because I don’t think I want to have time for much solitary fun. But for the train rides and times spent waiting for the boys to get done primping so we can go out, there is (currently) Soulless by Gail Carriger (thanks Cassie), Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs (my signed copy, lovingly recommended by Olivia), The Killing Moon by N.K. Jemisin (another from Cassie), Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman, Looking for Alaska by John Green, and Paper Towns by the same. I will be sure to give my unsolicited opinion of those, as well. OMG GUYS FICTION. One day I will publish these books.
- I will not be making a New Year’s resolution, because I never make a New Year’s resolution. Here is my (again, unsolicited) take on the whole new year, new beginning thing: We should be resolving to make ourselves better all the time, all year round. So while I support promising yourself to do better, I do not support the idea that we can only make those promises January 1st, or that we need to wait until the upcoming year to make changes. I constantly promise myself to eat better, to exercise more, to save more money, to be nicer to strangers, to read more classics, that kinda crap. Some days I’m better at it than others.
- Acquire stuff for the walls in our house. Frame said stuff. Hang said stuff. Feel decorated.
Well, there we go. Those are kind of like goals, right? Or just an unfiltered list of what I’m thinking about RIGHT NOW. Either way, it’s a lot of thought for a post that started with a kitty-cat in an elf costume.
Happy December 21st, guys. The world’s still here and nobody got raptured or anything. Score one for the Earth.
And Merry Christmas. 🙂